Patti and I recently returned home from a trip to coastal British Columbia.
Let me just say that this is a beautiful part of the world, snow -capped mountain peaks, terrific wind and endless opportunities to paddle-sail. We brought our Necky Eskia and our new Pakboat XT-15 along for the ride. After crossing the border, we headed north toward Squamish, a town situated at the end of scenic Howe Sound.
It’s a windy place in the summer and a popular destination for windsurfers, kite- boarders and sailboat cruisers looking for excitement. We found it similar to our home town of Hood River in this respect.
The paddle-sailing in Howe sound was wonderful. Glacial runoff gives the water a blue-green tint. It kind of reminded me of the water color in the Florida Keys after a strong wind has stirred up the coral sediments. The tide and the wind were in the same direction causing us to paddle sail close hauled much of the time but the scenery is breath-taking and the broad reaches home were a blast. After a fun-filled day on the water, we spent the night camped in Porteau Cove Provincial Park.
- New Video Yaaay!
- Kayaksailor on the Hobie Revolution 16
- Improving Your Paddle-Sailing Skills. Fifteen Tips!
- How Fast Is Your Kayak?
- Reentering Your Kayak From The Water – Paddle Floats, Paddle Float Rescue Straps, and Kayak Stirrups
- Kayak-Sailing Collage Video
- Six Ways of Steering Your Sailing-Kayak
- To Rudder, Or Not To Rudder, That Is The Question.
- Load Balance and Directional Stability
- Kayak Sailing the Florida Keys
- This is Kayak Sailing!
- Coastal Oregon Fun
- New Y40 Foam Mounting Cradles
- Aleut Paddles and Paddle-Sailing
- Greetings Kayaksailors
- Sun Dreams
- Waldo Lake?
- Sailing with Leviathans
- Springtime in the Gorge
- Winter Solstice Fun
- Rebuilding our Skin Boats
- A Day on Netarts Bay
- New Mount Ideas
- Sailing 101, Holding a Course and Life
- A Beautiful Evening for Paddle-Sailing
- Outfitting our new boat
- Camping in the Northern Cascades
- Messing About With Headsails
- Leeboard Rigging Tip
- Creativity and Custom Mounting Systems